Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Introducing Heston Sutter!!

Heston arrived at 6:13 a.m. on Halloween. I woke up around 4:20ish with what I first though were bad gas pains. I noticed very quickly that they were not typical as they were coming and going and I could feel them in my lower back. I told Steven I was pretty sure after a couple of them that this was it. He timed about 3 and agreed. He called the midwife soon after that and I got up and they quickly started getting worse. My water broke a couple of minutes before 5:00. I pretty much just stood in my bathroom and tried not to move too much as I was afraid after Ryker that he was coming. Jennifer my midwife got there soon after and checked me and I was almost completely effaced but only 2 cm dilated. I kind of got nervous as I was a 3 the week before and thought I still had a long way to go, but she said that I would probably still go fast, and I did.
I took my first position sitting on my knees right off the side of the bed. The breaks in my contractions were regular but short. I mostly just put my face into the bed and hummed through them loudly. They continued to get worse. I then said I wanted to see if getting in the tub would help. I am not sure how long I was in there but not very long before I got back out to be checked. At that time I didn't want to lay on the bed but I forced myself long enough to be checked. I was at a 5-6. I was also reminded why I was doing a homebirth as I absolutely didn't want to be on my back, it made the pain so much worse. Steven and Jennifer tried to roll me over but that didn't help either. I finally was able to get back down to my original knee position off the end of the bed. At this point I just had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't going to be much longer because I started to feel pressure. Jennifer told me to push when I felt the need to. This was so different than my previous hospital births where they always had to check to make sure I was "complete" and even then I had to wait on them. Out of nowhere it came and I started pushing. This was not long at all after being checked at a 5-6. Steven said it was no more than 3-4 pushes and he was out. Start to finish it was again less than 2 hours, like Ryker's labor and birth.
He cried immediately and was perfectly healthy. He weighed 6 pounds 4 ounces and measured 19 inches long. He is doing great and I am so happy we chose to do this at home.

No comments: