Monday, December 01, 2008

Neurotic mommy moment

Gotta love days that begin with Icy goodness.

Just to give an idea of our usual routine, every morning I leave from Springdale to drop off the younger two in Farmington, and then go back into Fayetteville to work. Simple reason why I drive to Farmington is because the preschool is through a good friend whom I know and "trust". Another neurosis I have as well, I suppose. Steven then by default travels from our home in Springdale to Bentonville, where he teaches and Gage goes to school. This morning as I leave the younger kiddos at their respected school, I hear on the radio warning drivers that a van slid off the road past wagon wheel road between Lowell. My first thought was, "hmm, I wonder if Steven got caught up in that traffic?" Only thinking that simply because he had tried to leave earlier to "avoid crazy drivers on days like this". So I try calling him. No answer. Then the neurosis hit. "Wait, did they say VAN!" So I call repreatedly with no answer and leave only 1 or 2 messages for him to call me. I then start calling his school to see if he made it, which he should have by then. His room phone rings and then goes to voicemail. I do this for the next 30 minutes in 10 minute intervals. Never have I tried to call him with his school phone and cannot get a hold of him. Finally, I get to work and by this time by stomach is in severe pain. I look up Gage's school and call them, they put me through to his teacher and it goes to her voicemail. Ugh! So I leave a message, which sounded something like this... "Hey Mrs. Mitchell, this is Gage's mom, I just called to see if he made it this morning, could you give me a call at ...-...." By this time my voice is shaking and I am close to actually crying for the first time in forever which made me feel human again.

So I call the school back and explain that I just need someone to go lay eyes on my son, because I can't get a hold of his father and heard a van had wrecked and just wanted to make sure it wasn't them. Anyways, they checked and he was there. In that moment I suddenly was filled with anger towards my husband, but relief they were ok. So I sent my dear hubby a text explaining my severe pissedness. I finally get a call, hours later stating his phone wasn't getting any of those calls until he turned it off and then turned it back on. Nice phone, I want to toss it now. He only checked his room voicemail at 10:30.

This is never a good way to start a day. The stomach pain doesn't go away when you find out all is well. And what little coffee I drank made me so freaking jittery I appeared high on crack.

Good news is I get a paid day off tomorrow because our census is low. So I am getting some Christmas shopping done.

No comments: