Sunday, November 04, 2007

Not too shabby

Today was the annual chili cook off at our church. So since Steven made deer chili last year I decided I would put my apron on this year. Well, since I have never made home made chili I decided to look around for some recipes. I found one that sounded interesting and decided to change it up a bit so as I wouldn't feel like I was stealing it. My additions included steak instead of hamburger, bacon, brown sugar, and oregano and some other secret ingredients. I tasted my concoction to see what else I may need to add, and lo and behold I felt like Baby Spice on that Preggo commercial, I didn't need to add anything. So I took my chili down to church and set up a quick little theme representing our couples class. Had a little picture put up stating it was Christian Couples Chili, and gave a verse from the Bible (with my own addition)...

Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.”

And together they created chili.
And together they agreed it was good.

And the bottom included a short poem by moi...

Something meaty for his taste, with a soft touch of
sweetness like her grace.

So some college guys from who knows where were invited to judge it. There were maybe 10 entries. So anyways, jumping to point, I got 2nd place for best tasting chili. 1st place went to the people who won for the last 6 years. Apparently a really spicy chili. Since I can't eat spicy I will never beat them I suppose. But then I got 1st for best presentation... SWEET!! So anyways I went to go get a second bowl of my chili and it was gone in a matter of 10 minutes. I clearly did not make enough. I think those college guys got way too much, lol. So after that the guys went and played football while I sat in the nursery chasing kiddos. Then came home, took a 4 hour nap, got up, went to practice, finally got to scrimmage (after going through withdrawel and wanting to hip check everybody who walked in front of me throughout the days and weeks prior), came home and now I am killing time before I do a paper. Small paper, but still needs to be done before tomorrow.

Anyway, this was my total BS and brag post...

Oh and here are my chili pics 10 minutes after the voting.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now I know what to bring for potlucks.

2 comments:

Amie said...

What a fun event! Congrats on your prizes :D

Melissa said...

Awesome, sounds yummy! Care to share the recipe? :D My chili is always blah!