Monday, October 29, 2007

Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

Each semester there comes a time when registration for the upcoming semester arrives. This day is marked with a rush to the computer in the early morning in hopes to grab the classes you want or need in hopes of grabbing them before they are filled up. It is not uncommon for many of these classes to be filled up by 9:30 a.m. It's ridiculous really. None the less, I set my alarm with the intent to get up and come the 2 feet to the computer to register. So after I registered for my final practicum (with 1 place left in the class I wanted) and my Ethics class, I then realized that this is it. No more. I will never again have to fight to get a spot in a class. I will never again have to worry about what I will have to take and if it is even being offered. Why? Because, next semester is my last. Alas, graduation looms nearer and nearer. I was even lucky enough to get both classes on the same day, and for once not super late. My first class actually being in the afternoon at 1:30. And another good thing, they are on Thursday so not on a practice day. With a little more than 5 weeks left in this semester I realize just how fast the next semester will fly by.

It almost seems surreal. In all actuality when I was growing up, I had no clue whether or not I would even go to college. My parents are definately working class Americans with no college degrees. My mother actually dropped out of high school. It was always well known that they would not be able to send me to college. I even applied for Pell grants my Senior year but they made too much for me to get anything, but not enough to send me (this is where the government fails, among other areas). And the same went for my younger sister. Some may remember my short stint in the NAVY, which was my attempt to have my education paid for. Well, due to an undiagnosed seizure disorder in which the military happens to frown upon I was medically discharged. Again, dreams of an education faded away. That is until I was given information on a rehab grant.(Thanks Eddie S.) Because of the circumstances of me leaving for the military but then being discharged because of my seizures, I was approved for such a grant. This grant saved my education. Because someone else was paying for it, I felt obligated to complete it. An obligation that has continued to this day, even though now it's me footing the bill. So as you can see, this simple milestone is not so simple to me. I have worked my butt off for it. Many sacrifices were made to get me to this point, not just by me but my family as well. Even though it is still 6 months away, I look forward to this day with anxious anticipation. Now as long as something major doesn't happen, I will get there. Knock on wood!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay, almost done. So happy for you! Way to go!!

Amie said...

When I was in college, we actually had to stand in line and register in person...not fun. Some people would camp most of the night to get their classes.

Anyway, good job for working so hard!